We’d like to present a phenomenon we’ve coined The Code Name Verity Effect. It is such that things (historical persons, foods, locations, activities, and items) mentioned in Elizabeth Wein’s novel become suddenly more interesting.
1) We both sing, and we weren’t initially that thrilled about the choir’s summer piece–Haydn’s Lord Nelson Mass–until we realized the title refers to Lord “Kiss me, Hardy!” Nelson of Code Name Verity fame. We are suddenly 1000x more excited for this piece.
3) Lisa wants to take up knitting because of Maddie’s gloves (Jen has already bookmarked the pattern!)
4) After reading so much about soft-boiled eggs at Castle Craig (and the devastating scene in France), Lisa really wants to eat an egg from an egg cup, the proper way
5) Jen is willing to try Maddie’s pickled onion sandwiches, eye-watering though they are
6) Combat boots are cool! #takethatDoctorWho
7) Our new dream vacation involves seeing the green flash over the Pennines. Let’s throw in the Holy Island seals too.
Have you noticed the Code Name Verity Effect at play in your life? How about with other books?