1. Richard Peck – who else can teach the art of pranking and storytelling so masterfully at the same time?
2. Louis Sachar — let’s play bridge! We’d have to re-read The Cardturner to learn the rules, though…
3. Allen Say — would it be creepy if we just watched him draw?
4. Shaun Tan — ditto that.
5. Elizabeth Honey — in Australia, preferably. On a camping trip, with campfire tales about Henni and the rest of the gang!
6. JK Rowling — you know what would be awesome? Harry Potter, the tv series! Starring Hogwarts!
7. Neil Gaiman — Coraline, The Graveyard Book, and a Doctor Who tangent! Allons-y already!
8. Kate DiCamillo – a meeting over soup! No rats, please.
9. Nancy Farmer — can’t wait for the sequel to House of Scorpions!
10. Eoin Colfer — actually, we don’t know if we should be wary. He is the mastermind behind Artemis, after all, and he’s revamped our image of fairies….
12. Tom Angleberger — Star Wars origami lessons!
13. Adam Gidwitz — he has a new Grimm fairy tale book coming out this year!
14. Brian Selznick — can we visit his studio?
15. Sharon Creech — Walk Two Moons was one of the best road trips we ever took as kids.
16. Suzanne Collins — may the odds (of our meeting her) be ever in our favor…
17. Gary D. Schmidt — that would be, in a word, terrific.
18. Jean Craighead George — for wimpy non-outdoorsy kids like us, My Side of the Mountain was our survival guide of choice. Hatchet, not so much…
19. Richard Adams — never thought we would be so creeped out and captivated by a book about wild rabbits.
20. Harper Lee — need we say more?!? (But why would she want to meet us?)